transparant image

Starkey House

History

William Starkey delivers groceries in the Mudgeeraba area c.1918.

As with all the Houses at Somerset College, Starkey House is named after a Mudgeeraba pioneering family. One of the ancestors was enrolled at the local Mudgeeraba school when it first started in 1892.

There is a close connection between the Laver, Veivers and Starkey families through various marriages. The present Mr Starkey's grandmother was a Laver who married Fred Starkey in approximately 1885 when they settled at Mudgeeraba Creek, Mount Tallai.

Mr Starkey's father was the eldest in that family; he was enrolled at the Mudgeeraba school when it first started in 1892 and became a farmer whilst his brother helped run the General Store. Mr Starkey attended the Mudgeeraba School in the 1930s and is a third generation member of this local pioneering family.